Students from India who want to continue further education at Oxford University and have stellar academic records are eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship for India. a very distinguished, fully-funded program that honors those who make dynamic use of their skills for the advancement of society.
Top Highlights of Rhodes Scholarship for Indians
The table below describes the Rhodes Scholarship’s key highlights to Indian students.
|Number of Scholarships
|Amount (in INR)
|International Students Eligible
What does the Rhodes Scholarship for India cover?
This Rhodes Scholarship is awarded to 100 students of different nationalities. Further, for Indian students, only 5 scholarships are reserved per year, and its benefits are –
- It covers college and university fees.
- An annual stipend of around Rs.15,10,300 is disbursed, which is equivalent to Rs.1,25,800 per month.
- This scheme also covers fares of air tickets to and from the UK.
- Further, a settling allowance of around Rs.22,400 is provided on arrival.
- It also covers the cost of healthcare and visas.
- After selection, the application fees might also get covered under this scheme.
How to Apply For Rhodes Scholarship for India
An individual who plans to enroll at Oxford University for higher studies can apply for this scholarship through the official website of Rhodes Trust. But beforehand, one needs to be aware of its eligibility criteria and the documents involved in this application process.
Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
Indian students interested in applying for the Rhodes Scholarship for India should check with the following criteria mentioned below
- Candidates should be Indian citizens
- Should possess proof of Indian citizenship, such as passports and other citizenship cards and documents.
- Students must have completed formal education from a recognized institution or university for a minimum of 4 years prior to applying.
- Candidates should have aged between 19 to 26 years at the time of applying for the scholarship.
- Students must complete their undergraduate degrees with first-class marks.
Individuals applying for the Rhodes Scholarship should have the following documents in their possession –
- Birth certificate
- Valid Indian passport
- Transcripts of class 10 and 10+2 board exams
- Scores of English Proficiency test, IELTS and TOEFL
- An updated resume including academic reports, prizes, scholarships and other co-curricular activities
- A passport-size photograph in jpg format
- Letter of intent in 1000 words describing why the individual deserves the scholarship
- 6 letters of recommendation with relevant details and a list of references
Students planning to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship for India can follow the below-mentioned steps –
Step 1 – Visit the Rhodes Trust’s official website
Step 2 – Select the country
Step 3 – Click on “Application for Rhodes Scholarship 2022”
Step 4 – Click on “Register” to start the process
Step 5 – Once registered on the website, now log in to your account and complete the application process
Step 6 – Fill out the application form with all necessary details, and upload all the required documents
Step 7 – Submit the application form online
After the application process is complete, the selection process starts for the applicants purely based on their academic excellence. Read on for more details.
Selection Criteria for Rhodes Scholarship
The selection procedure is taken care of based on the underlying criteria-
- Literary and scholastic achievements of applicants
- Students who excel in activities such as dance, music, sports, debate, theatre, and other artistic pursuits and co-curricular activities
- Students with traits of courage, devotion to duty, fellowship, and unselfishness
- Candidates with excellent leadership skills and a force of moral character
Selection Procedure for International Students
The selection committee finalizes the candidates, which are carried on in the following ways –
- A long selection list is prepared through interview rounds. The interview is done in two sessions which is scheduled in Delhi or through video conferencing –
- Session 1 – Preliminary Session
- Session 2 – Personal Interview
- The shortlisted candidates are then called for a final round of interviews and need to attend a social engagement arranged by the chairman of the selection committee.
- A mail is sent to the selected candidates regarding the same.
- The scholarship confirmation is attained on successful admission at Oxford University.
Courses Applicable Under Rhodes Scholarship
The following courses are applicable under the Rhodes scholarship
- Senior status BA program completed in 2 years
- Masters in fields like BCL, MSt. or MSc.
- BPhil, MPhil or BCL program for two years progressing to DPhil.
- Two-year MSc. or MLitt research programs.
- DPhil program for three years.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Indians get Rhodes Scholarship?
Students from 21 different countries along with India qualifies for this Rhodes scholarship. Only 5 Indian students receive this scholarship every year.
2. Who pays for Rhodes Scholarships?
The Rhodes Trust organization fully funds the Rhodes scholarship. This scholarship covers tuition fees of Oxford University, living expenses, healthcare, and travel allowances from to and from the UK.